DUE TO THE COVID-19 health crisis, Wolf Haven will no longer host this course at our satellite sanctuary in Montana. Stay tuned for upcoming information about whether or not a similar course will be held in Tenino, WA in the fall.
Wolf Haven will offer this 3-day course at our McCleery Ranch in Bridger, Montana. Course dates are May 19-21 (with an optional additional free day of presentations on Monday, May 18). This class is intended for wildlife agency personnel and other wildlife professionals and is taught by Dr. Mark Johnson of Global Wildlife Resources.
Classroom lecture and hands-on labs focus on the needs of researchers and managers to understand the skills and equipment associated with wildlife capture, physical restraint, and chemical immobilization. The course also covers each aspect of animal handling such a radio-collaring, weighing, sample collection and patient monitoring.
Includes course notebook and labs each day. Participants receive a Certificate of Training upon course completion. Contact Wendy Spencer for additional information or if you would like to register.
Course content includes:
- Five-step preparation for field operations
- Legal responsibilities
- Drug delivery systems
- Immobilizing drugs
- Patient monitoring
- Marking sampling
- Veterinary emergencies
- Human safety
- Ethical issues
- Honoring each animal through equipment and techniques
About Global Wildlife Resources, Inc.
Global Wildlife Resources, Inc. (GWR) is a progressive organization dedicated to supporting wildlife professionals and bringing honor, care, and respect to those animals affected by research and management by:
- Promoting and improving animal welfare (in a non-prescriptive manner) in programs and activities relating to wildlife research and management.
- Teaching the highest quality courses in wildlife capture, chemical immobilization and handling.
- Providing professional preparation and field assistance with wildlife captures, transport, and disease investigations.