This 3-day class is intended for wildlife agency personnel and other wildlife professionals. Taught by Dr. Mark Johnson of Global Wildlife Resources, it will take place October 22-24, with an optional free Monday workshop on October 21.
Classroom lecture and hands-on labs focus on the needs of researchers and managers to understand the skills and equipment associated with wildlife capture, physical restraint, and chemical immobilization. The course also covers each aspect of animal handling such a radio-collaring, weighing, sample collection and patient monitoring.
Includes course notebook and labs each day. Participants receive a Certificate of Training upon course completion.
Course content includes:
- Five-step preparation for field operations
- Legal responsibilities
- Drug delivery systems
- Immobilizing drugs
- Patient monitoring
- Marking sampling
- Veterinary emergencies
- Human safety
- Ethical issues
- Honoring each animal through equipment and techniques
About Global Wildlife Resources, Inc.
Global Wildlife Resources, Inc. (GWR) is a progressive organization dedicated to supporting wildlife professionals and bringing honor, care, and respect to those animals affected by research and management by:
- Promoting and improving animal welfare (in a non-prescriptive manner) in programs and activities relating to wildlife research and management.
- Teaching the highest quality courses in wildlife capture, chemical immobilization and handling.
- Providing professional preparation and field assistance with wildlife captures, transport, and disease investigations.